Saturday, February 6, 2010

Happy Birthday Babe!



Today marks the 115th birthday of the greatest baseball player of all time, Babe Ruth. Ruth has done more for baseball than any one individual player, manager, coach, or executive. He saved baseball after the Black Sox scandal of 1919, built Yankee Stadium all by himself, and kept a pretty enjoyable curse going for 86 years. Babe Ruth was and still is baseball. Hank Aaron is the true career home run leader, but The Bambino is still the standard for greatness.

In 1997, Major League Baseball did a fantastic thing when they retired Jackie Robinson's number 42 throughout baseball to commemorate the 50th anniversary his debut. It was a way to honor a pioneer for his everlasting impact on the game. I see no reason why Babe Ruth should not receive the same treatment. Jackie Robinson will always be an icon, but so will Babe Ruth. The Yankees have given Ruth the royal treatment, retiring his number and making him monument-worthy, but it's time for all of baseball to do the same.

Ruth's numbers seem more shocking today than ever before. Think about it: without steroids or even much weight-lifting, Babe Ruth hit 59 home runs in 1921, breaking his single season record of 54, which he set the year before. Then in 1927, he goes out and clobbers 60. What did he do after '27? Well, the drinking must have gotten to him, because he only hit 54, 46, 49, 46, and 41 over the next five seasons.

The Babe really does hold a spot in my heart. When I was in eighth grade, I was given the assignment of writing a paper about a different time period that I would love to travel back to. Some wrote of the Renaissance, others wrote of the Colonial Period in the United States, but I said I wanted to sit in the right field bleachers at Yankee Stadium during the 1920's. I thought it might be fun to watch Babe Ruth, and catch a home run off of his bat.

Although he died 38 years before I was born, Babe Ruth provided me with one of the greatest thrills of my life. I was fortunate enough to do well in high school, well enough to earn a large academic scholarship to attend college. When I left for college, my father promised that if I maintained my award for all four years, he would buy me a Babe Ruth signed ball. Well, I kept my scholarship. The day I came home after my final thesis presentation, he handed me a box. Inside was a National League ball signed by Babe Ruth and some of his Boston Braves teammates! It remains the only time I have cried after being presented with a gift. To be able to hold something signed by a hero, a pioneer, and an American Icon is something I will cherish forever.

Thank you Babe, for what you did, and what you continue to do for the game of baseball. On your birthday, I hope you're up there enjoying a good cigar and a drink with Waite Hoyt and Joe Dugan. Babe Ruth received more accolades than anyone in baseball history. Isn't it time for Major League Baseball to give him the greatest of honors?

Please visit http://retirebabesnumber.com to sign the petition to retire Ruth's number 3 throughout baseball. The website was created by Babe's granddaughter, Linda Ruth Tossetti.

1 comment:

  1. Good argument for the bambino. The greatest Yankee of all time

    ReplyDelete